Monday 7 April 2014

5 Air Fresheners to Make Yourself

Squeal and squirm all you like, but I live in my bedroom with two gerbils and nine (yes, NINE) pet rats. Rats have very sensitive lungs and don't deal very well with chemical-filled scented candles, air fresheners and incense sticks. Unfortunately, they also smell pretty awful. I needed a way to spritz up the air around my animal cages without gassing out my rats, and so I set about finding some natural, home-made air fresheners that would be gentle on their lungs, my lungs, and also smell wonderful. Here are my top five!

Baking Soda Cinnamon Spritzer


Baking soda is known for its ability to soak up nasty, unwanted smells. And the spiced orange smell of the oils is delicious. I can use the essential oils in soaps and bath bombs too, so I can smell as delicious as my room does! 

Vanilla, Lemon and Herb Pot


Slice up 1 lemon, add 2tsp vanilla, and a few sprigs of rosemary. Cover with water and leave to simmer in a pot. It will soon have your house smelling good enough to eat. I'll simmer this for a while, stick it in a jar and sit it next to my stinky cages to make my room smell gorgeous!

Vanilla Mist


Mix 1 cup of water and 3tbsp vanilla extract into a mist bottle (not a spray bottle, that comes out too quick). Spritz around for a gentle vanilla smell. 

Smelly Jars


As before, simmer oranges, cinnamon and cloves in a pan. Stick in a jar and place it in an offensively smelling room. It can be reheated as needed. This one has particular staying power! A winner for stinky pets. And how pretty do these look?

Reed Diffusers


If I fancy pushing the boat out a little and spending a bit more, all I need is some kind of small jar with a narrow top, some bamboo skewers, 1/4 cup of sweet almond oil and 20 drops of essential oil of my choice. These would make nice gifts, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment